Re: 2nd Annual Aroid show? CA Imports

  • Subject: Re: 2nd Annual Aroid show? CA Imports
  • From: Bluesea <chammer@cfl.rr.com>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:58:04 -0400

I would not like to see a west coast aroid show instead of the Miami aroid show, but rather in addition to.  The answer here may be to have a show not in Calif but a neighboring border state where such strict ag rules aren't present.  California aroid growers
can still get to the show with only a bit more effort, and it makes the show more available to aroid enthusiasts a little further east.  I can't speak to the practicality or logistics of this, but it does seem to solve the issues brought up regarding Calif ag laws.

I'm assuming a show in the west would be smaller than the Miami show simply because most east coast growers would not
want to take on the costs involved in shipping.  That's OK, it would give west coast growers a chance to show their stuff, which
they can't do at Miami for the very same reason, shipment costs.  There may be reasons why this doesn't work, I'm just throwing this out as a thought.  Are Calif ag laws just as strict on outgoing material, which may hinder Calif growers getting plants to a border state?

Russ
central Fla

Betsy Feuerstein wrote:
I suspect that few commercial growers are willing to take the risk to ship into California without the paperwork with all legalities on the dotted line. They have far too much to risk to take this risk. I think Denis has already stated this in his comments about his nursery. Now there may be some  commercial growers out there who ship into California on a regular basis but usually not on a large commercial shipment level. It is one thing to send a box to CA and quite something else to send boxes of plants on a commercial level. Also consider the cost of sending such material all the way to CA from the east coast. Would people be willing to pay the extra cost? Who would take that risk and who would put that money up on the front end with little guarantee that there would not be a loss. Denis has done this for years with the Miami show but I do not see him with the added risks of a meeting elsewhere. I am playing the devil's advocate but I do think you need to seriously contemplate the work, the difficulties, and the financial aspects of doing any of this.

Betsy