Re: Hempel and Hemple, the same?

  • Subject: Re: Hempel and Hemple, the same?
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:43:35 +0000

>From : 	Lester Kallus <lkallus@earthlink.net>
Sent : 	Wednesday, October 17, 2007 1:13 PM
To : 	Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	[Aroid-l] Hempel and Hemple, the same?

Dear Les,

I don`t know the answer, but if you have the time, try contacting the
Caladium company "Bates and daughters'' or maybe try Bates Caladiums, Lake
Placid, which used to be in Lake Placid, just S. of Sebring in Cen. Florida,
they used to be or may still be on-line and with a web page.  The mother was
a fantastic and kind old lady, she met with me years ago and gave me several
old vars. of Caladium no longer in cultivation, and was a walking
enclycopedia of Caladium history and knowledge, and was into preserving some
of the Heirloom cultivars like "the thing", etc.   She I would think will be
your best bet at getting an answer!  The eldest daughter gave a talk on
Caladiums at Fairchild many years ago at a monthly meeting, when those were
in vogue.
Dewey Fisk was the President of the IAS at that time, I THINK!

Good Luck,

Julius

>>A friend has an ancient Edison phonograph and recently purchased a
replica
of a magazine ad for it.  The magazine ad shows opera star Frieda Hempel
posing next to the phonograph.

We're curious if the Caladium Frieda Hemple is named after (and
mispelled
after) the opera star.

Does anyone know the history of the naming of this Caladium?

Les Kallus<<