Re: Xanthosoa?

  • Subject: Re: Xanthosoa?
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:01:32 +0000

>From : 	Helmut Reisenberger <gartenbaureisenberger@web.de>
Sent : 	Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:24 AM
To : 	Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoa?

Dear Helmut,

Unfortunately the only person who is or was activly involved in researching
the cultivated Xanthosomas is Dr. Eduardo Goncalves in Brazil, and he has
been off-line for a considerable length of time.
If you have the means to search the archives of Aroid-L, you will find a
discussion on a plant which FROM MY MEMORY matches the photos recently
posted, Dr. Goncalves I.D.`d it as being the true X. sagittifolia.   I THINK
that 'nigra' may just be a made-up spurious name, and that X. "nigra" may be
just another name for X. violacium, which is the darker colored plant you
are refering to.
We can only hope that Dr. Goncalves reads this and can offer some of his
expert advice soon!

The Best,

>>I am not the expert, but my opinion is, as follows: This is the real
Xanthosoma violacea (green with a purple hue), while, what commonly is named
Xanthosoma violacea is in fact "Xanthosoma nigra" (deep purple leaf stalks
and purplish leaf blades and
dark red venation). Question: Has Xanthosoma nigra a taxo-standing at all?<<

Aroid-L mailing list