Anthurium seeds discussion

Fellow Aroiders,

Many of you know I do a lot of aroid breeding, and have done so since
the 1980s.  Thus I have learned a lot about the viability and proper
care of seeds from Alocasia, Anthurium, Philodendron, Amorphophallus and
Caladium over the years.   The most important thing I've learned is that
many, if not all, of these seeds have short viabilities even under the
best of conditions. Therefore I can state categorically that even if the
seeds this person is selling are the real McCoy, the chances of any
buyer receiving a shipment of viable seeds from this person are slim and
none.

Think about it mathematically; if the seeds originate in south Africa,
they have to be harvested there then shipped to Turkey.  Assuming they
are harvested fresh and IMMEDIATELY shipped, figure 5 to 10 days to
Turkey!  Then, once in Turkey, this person puts the offer on eBay and
there's another 5 or 6 days at least for bidding to proceed.  Next, once
the bidding is complete, the buyer has to pay and the order has to ship,
figure another 5 to 10 days before the buyer actually receives the seeds
in question.  With aroid seeds, they will be lucky to get anything
recognizable as a seed in their shipment, much less anything viable.

The pictures make it really tempting to try to get the seeds.  But I
say, let the buyer REALLY beware on this one!  If anyone here decides to
try getting some of them anyway, I'm sure a lot of aroiders would love
to know how it turns out.

LariAnn Garner
Aroidia Research