Re: Varigated ZZ`s and more.

  • Subject: Re: Varigated ZZ`s and more.
  • From: "Michael Marcotrigiano" <mmarcotr@email.smith.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:41:49 -0400

I have a young variegated ZZ bought on ebay. Just a warning. It came with two variegated young leaves. Since then the next three were green or yellow, not variegated. This plant may be so unstable I'd think twice before forking over big bucks for one.

I use to work in a mutagenesis lab and there are nasty chemicals like nitrosomethylurea that cause plastid mutations at high frequency when seed is soaked in the solution. It is also in the top 5 known carcinogens so I'd suggest anyone thinking of getting rich on new variegated plants by using such chemicals, plan on having an oncologist nearby.