Re: Varigated ZZ`s and more.

I've heared, that there is a kind of chemical which can kill the chloroplasts in the cells, so maybe they use this on tissu cultured plants to get variegation.
Well that's just my idear, maybe not true...

2007/10/28, Julius Boos <ju-bo@msn.com>:

From :  Ken Mosher <ken@spatulacity.com>
Sent :  Sunday, October 28, 2007 3:19 PM
To :    Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject :       Re: [Aroid-l] Forms of ZZ plant -thanks + a tissue culture

Dear Ken,

Thanks for the info:, from what I`ve heard, there is "something" going on
with this "varigated" kick, all sorts of plants are popping up in a
varigated form.   A friend hinted to me that there is a process being used
to induce this varigation in MANY plants, just recently I heard of a couple
plants of varigated Philodendron goeldii for sale in Asia, and even in other
plant families way too many varigated cultivars are turning up for it just
to be by chance.
Does anyone have any info. on this??

The Best,

>>The very expensive Zamioculcas for sale at the IAS show was variegated.
That's why it was $100. There were several rooted cuttings in each
plastic sleeve and there were two available for sale.

-Ken Mosher

Julius Boos wrote:
>Dear Adam,
>Thanks for the kind words.   Remember, I only suggested (in another
>   that the Zamioculcas now commonly available because of tissue
culture may
>be modified and so be larger and more attractive 'selections' than the
>'mother' plant might be.   As far as I know little data is availabe on
>Like you, I like to have at last one wild-collected plant which the
>cultured plants can be compared to!
>There seem to be quite a few 'new' cultivars/selections which are said
>have been individuals selected and propagated from batches produced
>tissue culture.  Several Alocasias, Philodendrons, Caladiums, etc.
come to
>Michael Mahan reports that he saw cuttings of Zamioculcus for sale at
>IAS show for over $100.00, and others across the room, large potted
>specimens, for $30.00.   I think that we can say that the cheaper ones
>the tissue-cultured specimens, I only wish I knew more about the story
>behind the specimens which were being sold for expensive prices!
>The Best,

Aroid-L mailing list

Aroid-L mailing list