Re: I need information on Amorphophallus Paeonifolius -any experts out there?

  • Subject: Re: I need information on Amorphophallus Paeonifolius -any experts out there?
  • From: ronmchatton@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 17:15:22 -0400

Ty:

It's best to do what you can to extend the growing season as long as
you can.  I would bring them in.  Here in Central Florida they are
ground and pot hardy but they tend to rot in Atlanta if they aren't
brought in before it gets cold.

Amorphophallus paeoniifolius is a very variable species.  Some stay
fairly short and some, especially the group called Borneo Giant, can
reach 8-9 feet tall.  The same is true of koratensis.  They also very a
great deal in the number of leaflets and the roughness of the petiole.
I have a group raised from seed here in Florida that have virtually
smooth petioles, some from China that are somewhat rougher and a group
that have extremely rough petioles.  The more light you give them, the
smaller the leaf will be as well.

Those corms that came in from Madagascar were, depending on the
species, seriously infected with a fungal infection.  Many of them
simply rotted away and there were a couple of postings on aroid- about
it.  The others sprouted and, depending on how quickly or to the extent
the corm was infected produced leaves from a few inches tall to up to
about about 4 feet.  The species from Kalenbenobo seemed the least
damaged and many of the larger corms produced leaves a few feet tall.
To my knowledge, the hildebrantii have all been lost to rot.  Those
 from Nosy Faly and Nosy Mitsio vary in between.  The Nosy Faly growths
have all been larger than the other group.  So, that having been said,
I don't think you were had....these are interesting plants that weren't
available anywhere else, but it will be some time before they are
strong plants.

Ron McHatton
Central Florida Zone 9B