Re: I need information on Amorphophallus Paeonifolius -any experts out there?

  • Subject: Re: I need information on Amorphophallus Paeonifolius -any experts out there?
  • From: Ken Mosher <ken@spatulacity.com>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 13:27:03 -0400

Hi Ty,

You must bring your paeoniifolius indoors even though it's likely that
you're already too late.  Am. paeoniifolius do not like to be cold at
all especially if the soil is damp.

As for the two forms, there is "normal" paeoniifolius and there is the
'Gajendra' cultivar.

Regarding your sp. Madagascar, my guess is that you may have bought them
from Mike Massara who owns http://www.out-of-africa-plants.com/; I'm
sorry I don't remember his ebay seller id. I have bought many excellent
plants from him, but I agree that his response to emails is sometimes
lacking. But to answer your question, in my opinion Mike is not the kind
of person who rips people off. The height of an Amorphophallus is
indicated by tuber size within a species (e.g. a big konjac tuber
generally yields a tall plant) but you cannot make the same prediction
across species.  Furthermore, plant height is significantly affected by
growing conditions.  As one example, I grew 6 Tacca leontopetalloides
plants this year and the tubers were close in size.  4 were grown in my
greenhouse and 2 grew outdoors until the leaf(ves) were fully grown.
The ones that got more light (outdoors) were 1/2 the height of those in
the greenhouse.  There was no need to grow a big, tall leaf in full sun,
but when grown in less light they were encouraged to grow a much more
impressive canopy.

-Ken Mosher