I need information on Amorphophallus Paeonifolius -any experts out there?

  • Subject: I need information on Amorphophallus Paeonifolius -any experts out there?
  • From: John Ludwig <aroidgrower@gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 06:46:47 -0400

Hello TY,

I purchased some of the Madagascar tubers last year too. They broke dormancy in November of last year and grew to about 2 feet tall. I had to grow them under lights because I don't have a greenhouse. They grew very well for me under strong light and the tubers doubled in size. I also bought some small tubers from the same seller on ebay and all but 1 dried up. The one that made it broke dormancy last month and is now about 6 inches tall. I have found them to be quite tolerant of drought but suspect they will rot easily if kept too cold and wet. Last year I kept the soil damp at all times and fertilized them with orchid fertilizer every 2 weeks. I suspect that this species flowers when the tubers reach considerable size and weight.

Hope this helps Ty.

John Ludwig