Aroid-L mailing list

Re: I need information on Amorphophallus Paeonifolius -any experts out there?

  • Subject: Re: I need information on Amorphophallus Paeonifolius -any experts out there?
  • From: bonaventure@optonline.net
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:09:07 +0000 (GMT)

Anyone have luck with them Zone 7 in the ground in a protected spot? Mine's in a pickle tub and so far escaped frost.
Bonaventure Magrys
Cliffwood Beach, NJ

Ty, I cannot comment specifically on A. paeonifolius, but with my A. konjacs, some will begin to yellow or show other signs of impending dormancy anywhere from late September to late October
here in southern Wisconsin.  Those that do, I take up and prepare for storage.  Others, for some reason, grow right up until the frost takes the foliage down.  It seems to make no difference in this species.  My only consideration is if I had the tuber potted and was afraid that the the temperature would be low enough to damage it if it was above ground.

Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin