Re: Cyrtosperma growing media suggestions...

  • Subject: Re: Cyrtosperma growing media suggestions...
  • From: "John Criswick" <criswick@spiceisle.com>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:02:41 -0400

I have had very varied success with Nymphaeas.  The books say large containers with no holes and NO animal manure; only good topsoil.  Then you have to keep giving fertilizer (the Nymphaea fertilizer is EXPENSIVE) or the plants start decreasing in size.

But I observed that a yellow nymphaea which had grown over the edge of the pot, had sent roots spreading in all directions in the gunk on the concrete floor of the pond (largely fish excrement).  And the lily went wild!  Huge leaves and flowers.

So I started putting nymphaeas in fairly wide, but very shallow plastic containers, reasoning that the roots like the aeration on the surface of the soil medium. I use cat litter trays or shallow “wash pans”  (pre-washing machine).  In the bottom I put 4 inches of well-rotted pig manure, topped by 4 inches of loam.  I plant the nymphaea in the centre and cover the loam with sand.  Then I gently submerge the container in the 18 inch deep pond, but not keeping the crown 6 to 8 inches below the water surface, as the books tell you to do.

I consistently get good results that last for many, many months without adding more pig manure.