Nymphaea/Cyrtosperma growing media suggestions...

  • Subject: Nymphaea/Cyrtosperma growing media suggestions...
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:11:31 +0000

Dear John and Friends,

John, it certainly sounds like you have developed a very good method for growing Water Lilys (Nymphaeas) in the way you describe.
BUT---a word of caution to growers or ''wanna-be'' Aquatic Aroid growers, Aroids are not Water Lilys, so I caution on using this method until someone like John has experimented with trying to grow a plant of say his Cyrtosperma johnstonii OR the ''Gran Etang" Lake Montrichardia (John, and luck with collecting seed of this as yet??) in the submerged pot with the old pig manure.   Oh, the term ''old pig manure'' leaves doubt, HOW old and decomposed is the pig manure??
Most of the Aroids such as Urospatha, Montrichardia, most other species of Cyrtosperma, etc. are rare and irreplacable here in the USA, and I have lost several during my early experimenting growing period in conditions like John describes for his Nymphaeas!
John, try growing a Cyrtosperma in the pot as you describe and please report back to us in say a year or two on how it does!

Good Growing,

Julius