Re: Nymphaea/Cyrtosperma growing media suggestions...

  • Subject: Re: Nymphaea/Cyrtosperma growing media suggestions...
  • From: "John Criswick" <criswick@spiceisle.com>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:16:28 -0400

Dear Jules,

          Good to hear you sounding so frisky.

          I’m truthfully mystified by all this, as I grow Montrichardia like a weed in submerged pots of topsoil in my 18 inch deep pond.

Actually the method I described for Nymphaeas was not meant to be taken as a recommendation for growing aroids; just nymphaeas.

Although, it would not surprise me one bit if my aroids other than Montrichardia did well with this method.  I have also grown Lhasia in submerged tubs of soil. It took over the pond to such an extent that I hauled it all out.  (And is it ever prickly !)

I’ll try a Cyrtosperma, as you say.  The reason I took the effin Cyrtosperma out of the pond is because it would too rapidly grow too enormous and top heavy and blow over in the pond.

By old and well-rotted I mean smelling not like any kind of crap at all, but like leafmould.  Lovely stuff !