Re: OT: ultrasonic rodent repellers

  • Subject: Re: OT: ultrasonic rodent repellers
  • From: michael kolaczewski <mjkolaffhbc@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 21:07:49 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings Ken, and other forum members,
In addition to gardening and propagating plants for many years, I was at one time
involved in structural pest control. These devices really do not provide any pest
deterrence. Mice, as many of you know, are  problem pests in greenhouses, homes, and other
structures. If you can slide a #2 pencil under a gap or a door, or even under a baseboard, they can get in.
In the matter of mouse biology, in particular, the house mouse, the males also contaminate
many things with their urine, by their marking activity. The urine also contains pheromones,
Which they use to attract females and to deter rivals, from entering their territory.
So obviously, once a number of individuals begin to enter into a structure, and take up residence,
you can have quite an infestation.
You can use a rodent bait or glue boards, which some people find unpleasant, as control
methods. There are also the so called, catch all traps, metal devices which capture the mice.
If there are only a few rodents, the traditional little snap trap works well. Once again I realize some people
will find this unpleasant.
These items should used along the perimeter of the walls and where they will not be contacted by children and pets.
 Another step, is to secure all cracks, crevices, and gaps around the structure. Using Silicone
chalk will help a great deal. You can also use steel wool in the gaps. If use the wool and the chalk together,
be sure that you have a "smooth" seal. Don't let the wool protrude out of the chalk.
In some cases, using a strip of metal over a gap or door bottom, or even around structure base /
foundation, will provide another level of deterrence.
I have lost various bulbs, and many, many flats of seedlings and plants to pests.
I do whatever is needed to get rid of them.
Sorry for the long posting, I hope this information will be of use to you all.
Best regards,
Michael Kolaczewski

Aroid-L mailing list