Re: Off-topic, Botanical Nomeclature.

  • Subject: Re: Off-topic, Botanical Nomeclature.
  • From: "Elizabeth Campbell" <desinadora@mail2designer.com>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 10:54:03 -0700

OK, even with Canna indica in there, I'm going to nominate the hybrids of Musa for consideration. There are something more than 500 accepted distinct hybrids, about three times that many synonyms for those hybrids, and the taxonomy of the entire genus is a nightmare, let alone the taxonomy of the natural hybrids. In particular, I'm thinking about the triploid intraspecific hybrids of the seven subspecies of Musa acuminata (what are referred to as the AAA bananas).

Another fun one is Bomarea edulis, its eight subspecies, and its 48+ synonyms.

Get the Free email that has everyone talking at http://www.mail2world.com
Unlimited Email Storage – POP3 – Calendar – SMS – Translator – Much More!

Aroid-L mailing list