RE: Coconut husks

----------
From: 	aroid-l@mobot.org on behalf of Dewey Fisk
Sent: 	Wednesday, October 15, 1997 1:43 PM
To: 	ju-bo@msn.com
Subject: 	Re: Coconut husks

>  Re. Anthurium media and coconut husks.
>
>    Coconut husks are an excellent media to grow most Anthurium's

>>I agree that coconut husks are a good medium...  However, watch out for
excessive water retention.  Unless you have a lot of chard or someother
type of draining material in the bottom...  You will get a lot of rot...
So, be careful of the water when using coconut husks.
Dewey

Dewey E. Fisk, Plant Nut
THE PHILODENDRON PHREAQUE
Your Source for Tropical Araceae<<

 Dear Aroidophiles--
Dewey is correct,they DO retain water, and I should have explained that we
grew Anthuriums in beds on the ground, not in pots, and that the sections of
husk (1/3 of a coconut) were placed around the base of each plant as they grew
taller.  The water retention was a bonus under THESE conditions, where the air
movement dried things out in a HURRY, and hand watering daily if it did`nt
rain was the norm.
Cheers,
Julius
ju-bo@msn.com