Re: dracunculus hardiness

Now Rand, your Skunk Cabbage inflorescences may stink, but mine don't!  Here
on the west coast we have Lysichiton americanum, with a beautiful brilliant
yellow bloom that has the slight scent of a daffodil.....REALLY!  It's the
LEAVES that stink!  I think the wastern variety is called 'Skunk Cabbage'
because the leaves actually DO smell like Skunk, and 'Cabbage' perhaps
because of the leaf layout.  When crushed, they give off a definite 'skunk'
odor.  But the baby plants don't stink at all, and I just happen to have some
youngins'......sprouts in fact.  I don't know how they would do in IN., but I
can send you some if you would like.  Perhaps a bit of eastern AND western
would be nice.  It sounds like they pretty much require the same
surroundings.

>>> It prefers a semi-bog to moist woodsy clearing habit, but
will grow in acidic soil around conifers.<<<

The western variety also likes wet creek beds in and around Birch, Alder,
Redwood, Fir, Blackberries and Thimbleberries if there is an underground
source of moisture.

neophytes, in order to appreciate the common attributes of this unusual
northern terrestrial Aroid.<<<<

I'M a neophyte, and I'M not falling for THAT one Stacy!!!!

But there you have it!  Two nicely scented possibilities ...............if
you have the right place for them.

Enjoy!
Sue Zunino