RE: Arum maculatum

----------
From: 	aroid-l@mobot.org on behalf of genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Sent: 	Friday, October 24, 1997 11:29 AM
To: 	ju-bo@msn.com
Subject: 	Re: Arum maculatum

>>Ray,
    Thanks for the correction. Should have checked before sending the
message. No spell checker for Latin. I was, indeed referring to Arum
maculatUM. I have not seen the book by Peter, only have the 3 pages in
Deni Brown's book. Could you please post the full name of the book and
the author along with information for purchasing the book you are
referring to here?
    Thank you, Gene
     Gene Bush    Munchkin Nursery    Southern Indiana     Zone 6a
     genebush@munchkinnursery.com<<

AR>Gene & Jan,

AR>Peter Boyce doesn't list an Arum maculata in his book, nor have I heard
AR>of it. Are you sure you
AR>don't mean Arum maculatum? I believe hort. latin demands "um" for Arum
AR>rather than "a".

AR>Peter describes 34 different forms, ssp., etc of A. maculatum. Pandora
AR>Sellars' beautiful
AR>colored illustration follows page 48 (Plate 1).

AR>Ray
AR><GRSJr@Juno.com>

Dear folks,
The info on the book in question is--"The Genus Arum", by Peter Boyce,a Kew
Magazine Monograph, ISBN 0  11  250085  4, Copyright The Bentham-Moxon Trust,
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, 1993.  30 British Pounds.  196 pages,  16 color
illustrations, MANY line drawings, maps, etc.
This is a wonderfully done book, lots of great info, line drawings, and the
color illustrations are really works of art in the true sense of the word, and
by themselves are more than worth the price of this great book, in my opinion!
Cheers,
Julius
ju-bo@msn.com