rharias: Re: Anthurium hybrids

From: rharias
To: aroid-l@mobot.org
Subject: Re: Anthurium hybrids
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 21:46:32 -0400
I sent this message about 12 days ago and what to my suprise.. it sent it
back to me.
	Thanks for setting me straight about A. x Hoffmannii, I didn't
realize that more than one hybrid was called by this same name. I will
add this to my list of anthuriums.
	I also know that there are people out there who are hybridizing.
I implore them, write down the cross. If you only know the mother, and
you like to name the plant, great, but follow it by the mothers name
followed by an x then either a question mark or unknown. If it's a
volunteer, and you'd like to give it a name, that's fine too but please
after the name call it a volunteer (it's ok to make an educated guess at
the parent, but if you aren't absolutely sure then put question marks
behind your guesses). This doesn't down-grade the value of a good plant
in any way. We all get volunteer hybrids of one sort or another, and
understand that sometimes nature does strange things.
	Hybridizing is one of natures short-cuts to evolution and

Robert Arias
Tampa, FL