rharias: Re: Anthurium hybrids

From: rharias
To: aroid-l@mobot.org
Subject: Re: Anthurium hybrids
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 21:47:01 -0400
Again another unsent letter. Well, here it is again.
Jay,
	Thanks for the information on A. x Red Beauty. It's more
information then I had before. Hybrids have been very difficult to
organize, do to the lack of information. Sometimes this lack of
information is do to the silly secrecy of some hybridizers who are afraid
of others repeating the cross and duplicating there efforts. First, the
time involved in doing this is just too much trouble. And second, the
possibility of tissue-culturing the original plant makes duplication by
seed, a waist of time.
	I agree with you that some hybrids are very nice indeed. But
mother nature has provided us with so many plants to take care of
already. Why should we "The Collectors" spend our time on man made
plants. We must be the caretakers of these plants, heaven knows the
countries of origin are not. I grow a lot of pretty, little hybrids, and
sell them quite cheaply, due to the pressures put on by TC propagators.
But I don't "Collect" them, do to the fact that if I save the parent
plants, I'm saving the hybrid at the same time.

	If anyone out there in Aroidland has a named Anthurium hybrid
with parentage and you've never seen it listed anywhere, please e-mail me
the name and cross so I can add it to my record, I'd appreciate it so
much that I might be persuaded to print my entire list to Aroid-L

Robert Arias
Tampa, FL
rharias@juno.com