"pruning" Amorphophallus

Hi: My 20 lb. plus konjac corm (yes I still believe these are corms) sent
out 3 leaves this year rather than its impressive 4 foot wide one of last
year. Having just dug it up I discovered that rather than having the
basketball of past, I have three grapefruits. The original basketball size
corm, as expected, was nearly decomposed below the three grapefruits. I'd
love to avoid this situation in the future and keep one giant leaf going
rather than 3 misdirected ones. Has anyone ever tried getting rid of
multiple leaves,  just leaving one by pruning (carving out?) the  extras?. I
know I started with one giant corm, not three, but somehow it decided to
send out 3 leaves and now next year I'll have three no-so-giant plants. I
don't want to let this happen again. Opinions? -----Thanks
Michael Marcotrigiano (email:  marcotrigiano@pssci.umass.edu)
Rm 211 French Hall
Dept. of Plant and Soil Sciences
Univ of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003  USA
voice: 413-545-5227
fax: 413-545-3075 att: Michael Marcotrigiano