bulbifer answer

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, newton wrote:

> nick of time, of my various greens, I noticed that my 2" dia. A. bulbifer is
> sending up a small shoot from the base of the leaf. While I find that
>
> Q:  How common is this behavior? Plenty of pot space, mild fertilizer and

	I have two bulbifer doing exactly the same thing.  In fact, A.
bulbifer has always behaved like this for me.  It is about as seasonal as
konjac, but leaves only last about 2 months before being replaced.  My
bulbifer produce two leaves in succession each season.  Sometimes the
original dies, sometimes it dosen't.  I rest the bulb in october just like
the knojac.  Of course, my bulbifer are still too small to flower yet.
Perhaps mature specimens behave differently.  Finally, I find that
Amorphophallus in general need full sunlight to reach their maximum size.

			Roger L. Sieloff