Re: bulbifer answer

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, newton wrote:
> > nick of time, of my various greens, I noticed that my 2" dia. A.
> > bulbifer is sending up a small shoot from the base of the leaf. While
> > I find that
> > Q:  How common is this behavior?

In my cultivation smaller specimens of Amorphophallus bulbifer
usually set up a couple of leaves (2 to 5) one eafter each other for
about 5 months before they finally go dormant (if not growing all year
round, which is not uncommon in this species). Adult specimens
show a strict dormancy and produce only one leaf in a single growing

Other Amorphophallus species have the same tendency to produce
two or more leaves as long as they have not gained flowering size
(e.g. A. albispathus, A. krausei, A. muelleri, even A. titanum made
three leaves this year).

On 1 Sep 2000, at 10:16, Roger Sieloff ISDH wrote:
> (...) Finally, I find that Amorphophallus in general need full sunlight
to reach their maximum size.

Maybe its because I am living in Central Europe with extended days
in summer, having daylight from 5:00am until 10:30pm in June til
August, that most specimens being grown in full sun may face
severe leaf burnings from excessive radiation. That's why I keep them
during these months rather in a half-shaded to shaded place and
from September onwards in full sun (at present daylight time is
reduced from 7am til 8:30pm already) and which has positive effects
in weight gaining.
As far as I know that accumulated radiation in summer in C Europe
may be much higher than it is in the tropics due to our very long
days. And the more leaves burn the smaller the surface to produce
nutrients which are necessary to increase corm size.

Best wishes,

Bjørn Malkmus