Re: Identify this Amorph

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Identify this Amorph
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 09:26:58 -0500 (CDT)

The size of the leaflets of yuor plant is not a relevant distinction in
paeoniifolius, of which this size varies considerably. I think your plant IS
paeoniifolius after all. You ran into one of the few clones/cultivars that
through the long ages of domestication of this species, has developed smooth
petioles. In olden days, such forms were identified as "var. hortensis" and
should represent clones with a lower amount of irritating oxalates in the
tuber, making it more easy to refine for food production.

The colour of the petiole is also not a relevant character, although, also
in the past, the green colour was part of the identifiers of "var.
hortensis'. However, there are numerous examples of green petioles with a
very rough surface.