Re: Swamp escort requested

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Swamp escort requested
  • From: Dean Sliger <deanslgr@juno.com>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 23:09:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000 23:37:37 -0500 (CDT) Jack Honeycutt
<jhoneycutt@uswest.net> writes:
> Just finished reading 'The Orchid Thief'.  I see Aroid list member
> Dewey
> Fisk is in the book.  I have never met anyone famous before.  I am
> *so*
> looking forward to this trip to the land of plant nuts (so I can
> feel at home among my own kind!)

Jack, a handy thought to keep tucked in the back of your mind is that the
woman who wrote that book is a Manhattan journalist and total
non-gardening person -- someone who might have a dust covered pot of
Sanseveria or pothos in a corner of the living room, calling it
"jungle-y."  To people like that, everything is "weird" and "exotic."
Her main intent with the book was to create another "Midnight In the
Garden of Good and Evil."  Viewed through her lense, ANY local club or
society would seem pretty wild.

You'll appreciate a visit with Dewey much more than she did!  ;-)

Dean