Re: Swamp escort requested

In a message dated 9/9/2000 12:37:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jhoneycutt@uswest.net writes:

> To a kid from Oregon, seeing native bromeliads growing on a tree branch,
>  standing in waist deep mud, while your blood is sucked dry by misquotes
>  wearing a garland of ghost orchids is not to be missed.  Did i mention the
>  sweltering heat?  Who is with me??!!  I need a guide. Volunteers welcome.

what kind of creature is a "misquote?"  something that journalists spawn
often?

>  Just finished reading 'The Orchid Thief'.  I see Aroid list member Dewey
>  Fisk is in the book.  I have never met anyone famous before.  I am *so*
>  looking forward to this trip to the land of plant nuts (so I can feel at
>  home among my own kind!)

i'm sure you'll meet many more celebrities over there, from this list... but
if you want to meet famous people, you could hang out in nyc for a while...
i have seen many "celebrities" walking down the street without anyone
bothering them, and i never approached one: JFK jr. (3 times before his
untimely death), gregory hines, jimmy smits, paul simon, laurie anderson, lou
reed, mikhail baryshnikov, woody allen & soon-yi previn, david byrne, ashford
& simpson etc. etc.

of course, if you want to get me really excited, you should show me a
Montrichardia, Pseudohydrosme gabunensis or a Callopsis volkensii... those
are true celebrities in my book!

tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA