Re: Dracontium pittieri pictures

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Dracontium pittieri pictures
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:19:30 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: SCHERBERICH <earmag@cybercable.tm.fr>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Wednesday, September 13, 2000 10:41 AM
Subject: Dracontium pittieri pictures

Dear David (and Jay!),

Something smells 'rotten' here, and it`s NOT the Dracontium!   This is not
D. pittierii, but I am 99.999% certain it is in fact the other giant species
from Cen. America, D. gigas!!

D. pittierri has a peduncle of over 2 mts (6-7 ft!!) and the 'white' area
within the spathe extends upwards higher than the height of the spadix,
whereas D. gigas has a peduncle of 'only' +- 1 mt, or 2-3 ft., and the white
area is shorter than the spadix.   By the way, this 'white', translucent
area is thought to attract flies and other insects into the spathe, it is
thought that they see the light through it and fly into the spathe and
downwards towards it, and in so doing assist in pollenation.

Yes, Jay, the color and texture of the spathe`s interior is certainly a
thing of rare beauty, and I believe this would be par for the course with
this species!   For other Dracontium 'lovers' out there, THE most beautiful
species is D. croatii from Western Ecuador!   And GOOD news, Jay--you are
ideally situated to be able to have BOTH these species in your collection
SOON, as both are native to Costa Rica!
No matter which species it is, thanks a lot to David for sharing this wonder
of nature with all of us!

Hope to meet and see some of you in Miami in two weeks time!

Cheers,

Julius
ju-bo@msn.com

>Dear aroid enthusiasts,

I have just found some nice pictures of Dracontium pittieri from the
Botany Department of the University of Wisconsin-Madison that deserve to
be seen:

http://www.wisc.edu/botit/tour/Roomeight-Dr.html

David

--