Re: Alocasia potting mix

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Alocasia potting mix
  • From: Jim Singer <jsinger@igc.org>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 17:14:02 -0500 (CDT)

had a similar experience with black velvet in pro-mix in a shady location. i
wanted to dump it, but she who must be obeyed insisted we try it in the
ground. so i planted out. our soil is sand to the center of the earth with a
little organic matter in the top three feet and a lot of moisture the rest
of the way down. it is planted in the light shade provided by tall slash
pines [which are also likely responsible for the organic matter in the
sand]. to cut to the chase, the plant has rallied. it now consists of three
thick stalks and a dozen or more leaves.

At 09:38 AM 9/27/00 -0500, Lester Kallus wrote:
>On expert advise, I changed the potting mix I was using for anthuriums and
suddenly am seeing them flourish as they never had before.  They had grown
*adequately* in Pro-Mix but never as they're growing now.  Consequently,
it's dawning on me that I should be changing other potting mixes rather than
trying to get everything to grow in Pro-Mix.

>So - what are people's favorites for Alocasias?  Specifically, I've had
problems with Black Velvet getting terminal cases of dwindles.  I suspect
that Pro-Mix doesn't drain well enough.  Obviously I could just add some
perlite but why stop there?  I'll glady purchase whatever
charcoal-bark-osmundum-sphagnum-peat-vermiculite-loam-compost-plastic-fiberg
lass combination people recommend and see what happens.

Himself @ jsinger@peacenet.org