Alocasia growing medium

Greetings, all!

I grow my Alocasias in a mix that is composed of equal proportions of
sterilized leaf mould, oak charcoal chips, half-inch pumice and medium
orchid bark. Not as well drained as my basic Anthurium mix, but still pretty
open.

I have found that the combination of cool temperatures and wet medium are
definitely a no-no with this genus - since I've reduced watering to once a
week I have found that they do much better - including all of the pretty
"dwarf forms" that Dewey has up in Florida. In an unheated conservatory they
are all slow for me, but definitely have improved in stature since when I
imported them. It does appear that the A. longiloba types seem much more
forgiving of "wet feet" than A. reginula, A. nebula, etc. although they
still don't prosper under these conditions for me.

Good luck -

Jay