The 2000 IAS Show and Sale

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: The 2000 IAS Show and Sale
  • From: Albert Huntington <balberth@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:29:09 -0500 (CDT)

Well, Folks,

  I just got back to California from the IAS Show and Sale in Miami, and I
wanted to let everyone know what a great time I had and how much I learned.  I
would definitely recommend a trip like this to other out-of-state people.  The
show was very well organized, quite well run, and full of people who went out
of their way to make sure I was introduced to everyone and made to feel a part
of the group.
  Four slideshows by Drs. Mayo, Boyce, Bogner and Croat were quite informative
and occasionally entertaining, and the ability to ask questions of the leading
researchers in the field was priceless.  Food at dinner on Saturday was superb,
and the auction was the most fun I've had in a long time, even though I didn't
actually get any plants.
  I did pick up a lot of plants at the show and sale ... plants I know I simply
cannot get by mail-order, or locally in California.  I also took the
opportunity to see many local area nurseries ( sorry I didn't get the time to
stop by, Denis...), and I must say that I have not seen so much rare plant
material for sale anywhere else in the country.  South Florida is definitely a
plant paradise, and the fact that the IAS published a sheet of paper with some
nursery suggestions was a big bonus.
  I am definitely coming back next year, and I certainly recommend that anyone
who is considering going to the next show take the plunge and do it.  The
experience was priceless.  I would also like to give a big thank-you to all the
wonderful people who gave their time to make the show what it was.

Albert Huntington           San Jose, CA U.S.A.
           Visit my greenhouse at:

Do You Yahoo!?