Re: 'Self-heading' Philodendrons.

  • Subject: Re: 'Self-heading' Philodendrons.
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 10:24:56 -0500 (CDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: Iza & Carol Goroff <goroff@idcnet.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 12:46 AM

Dear Iza,

Good thought, but I believe that Eduardo has tried this method.    In the
original description on the species, [Aroideana Vol. 2, No. 3, 1979] Dr.
Simon Mayo mentions that this species was then being cultivated by the
famous and late Roberto B-Marx in Brazil, and there is a photo of a seedling
w/ about 5 cordate leaves that was being grown at Kew, so I had hoped that
somewhere someone had this plant in coultvation, but it seems that I was

Does anyone on this list know if Alvim Siedel in Brazil offers seed of any
of the following species--
 P. saxicolum, P. adamantinium or P. leal-costae??

Thanks and good growing.

>>I remember reading, perhaps 40 years ago, in the late, lamented Aquarium
Magazine a column by the publisher William T. Innes that a Monstera
deliciosa in
the Temple University greenhouse in Philadelphia had grown roots into a fish
tank and had suddenly taken off with larger and holier leaves than ever
Perhaps a cutting of P. leal-costae fastened to the edge of an aquarium

Iza Goroff
Whitewater Wisconsin USA