RE: Off the beaten track

  • Subject: RE: Off the beaten track
  • From: "Deni Bown" <deni@yaxhampark.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 10:12:58 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Bonaventure,

Yes, I have lots. It's very fast-growing and easy to propagate. Seems to
need rich soil, partial shade, and plenty of water. Tolerates min. 45F thru
the winter in a polytunnel here in the UK. I tried it outdoors and it does
well in summer but is mushed by the first frosts. Plants are very brittle
and large ones difficult to repot without main stems snapping off. I've
never had it flower yet, even as a large plant, say 4ft x 4ft. Maybe it
needs to get even bigger? Or maybe doesn't like being confined to a pot.
Chewed a few leaves but they tasteed so foul I gave up before seeing pink

I too would be interested in hearing from anyone that grows it successfully
or has seen it in the wild and can give hints on cultivation.

Deni Bown