Re: 'Self-heading' Philodendrons.

  • Subject: Re: 'Self-heading' Philodendrons.
  • From: SelbyHort@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 10:13:49 -0500 (CDT)

How are seeds of Philodendron leal-costae distributed, by birds perhaps? Must
seeds go through the gut or craw of some animal before they can germinate in
large bromeliad tank?
This species seems to always bring up many unanswered cultural questions
since so few are found in gardens anywhere. Eduardo, have you been to habitat
and observed whether it will only grow associated with a specific bromeliad
species?

Donna

<<     What about put it in the tank of a monster Vriesea-like bromeliad,
just
 like it occurs in the wild? I couldnīt try this method because I do not have
 room for something like this in my collection. In near future, maybe I will
 grow a big tank bromeliad, with plenty of Anthurium bromelicola, A. mourae
 and Philodendron leal-costae, all of them known to grow in places like this!
 (together with some frogs, snakes and mosquitoes, that are also found in
 those tanks)