Re: Grocery store aroids.

  • Subject: Re: Grocery store aroids.
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 17:32:03 -0500 (CDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: Cooper, Susan L. <SLCooper@scj.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 4:56 PM
Subject: Grocery store aroids.

Dear Susan,

The next time ask for 'malanga', three kinds USUALLY available, malanga
blanca, malanga lilac, and MAYBE malanga islenea, they will be Xan.
sagittifolium, X. violacium and Colocasia esculenta  in that order.

If the seet potato has purple skin, you are in for a treat, just peel and
boil in salted water, mash w/ a little butter, OR cut into halves and bake,
spread a little butter, it has quite a different color, flavor and texture
to the more common 'American' sweet potato w/ it`s orange skin.
See you soon,

>>Okay, here is a chance for everyone to get back at me for all my teasing
I convinced a coworker to escort me on a hike through a rough neighborhood
to a Spanish grocery (that's as close as I can get to an Indian grocery) to
find the secret Aroid patch.  I found an interesting looking tuber, with no
sign to say what it was.  Me being the shrinking violet that I am, was
afraid to ask anyone.  So I selected the largest tuber, and headed to the
When the clerk weighed it, "she said, hmm, lets see... Sweet Potato.  That's
big one!"

Sometimes I think there is no hope for me!

PS.  My coworker just about had an accident laughing.  He is still laughing,
hours later.<<