Re: Fear from Nature or from Man

  • Subject: Re: Fear from Nature or from Man
  • From: SelbyHort@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:10:39 -0500 (CDT)

It is very strange, but Sept. 11, 2001 had been designated as the
International Day of Peace. This traditional day had begun exactly 20 years
ago, initiated by a request from the people of Costa Rica to the United
Nations, and it was decided at that time to host this day at or about the
same day that the general assembly of the UN convenes each September. I am
enclosing here an address that was prepared by the Secretary General of the
UN, and perhaps was never given, as the UN was evacuated very shortly after
the disaster yesterday at the World Trade Center in NY. I searched the UN web
site and found this document posted below.

Reading these lines now is painfully haunting as we all wish for peace, yet
are once again reminded that there are those in the world who only want the

Following is the text of a message from Secretary-General Kofi Annan on the
occasion of International Day Of Peace (11 September):

      The International Day of Peace is a day on which we try to imagine a
world quite different from the one we know.
      We try to picture those who wage war laying down their arms and talking
out their differences.

       We try to picture all governments listening to -- and acting on -- the
will of the people.

       We try to picture hatred turning into respect, bigotry turning into
understanding, and ignorance turning into knowledge.
      And we try to picture the very root causes of conflict -- poverty,
marginalization and greed -- giving way to development and justice.

       We do this because progress in our world does not happen without
someone first having a vision or a dream.

       The International Day of Peace started with such a dream.  It was
proclaimed 20 years ago by the United Nations General Assembly, at the
initiative of Costa Rica.

       This year, at the initiative of Costa Rica and the United Kingdom, the
Assembly decided to go one step further.  It declared that the International
Day of Peace should be a day of global ceasefire and non-violence.

       This step promises to be more than symbolic.  Where respected, it will
have practical effect.  Where truces are observed, medical and developmental
agencies can provide vital services to civilian victims in safety.  And even
a one-day pause in the fighting gives us something to build on in the work to
end conflict.

      On this International Day of Peace, let us dare to imagine a world free
of conflict and violence.  And let us seize the opportunity for peace to take
hold, day by day, year by year, until every day is a day of peace.