Re: what's going on there?

  • Subject: Re: what's going on there?
  • From: magrysbo@shu.edu
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 20:42:30 -0500 (CDT)

I could see the twin towers on my way from Cliffwood Beach to work in South
Orange this past Tuesday. It was about 9:30 or 9:40 am here when I saw
them, looking northeast over the Raritan Bay at the southern portion of
Manhattan as I was driving over the Edison Bridge. At first I had heard on
the radio that an airplane had struck, and I thought that it must have been
a light aircraft, but as the view came up I saw a great deal of smoke
pouring out from the top portion of the buildings. I was horrified to hear
that it was a jetliner, and then another one. As I reached the Seton Hall
campus I ran up to my building and to the radio in the lab and also put on
msnbc.com on the computer. Manhattan is about 16 miles east of here but can
only be seen from the tops of buildings. The traffic north and east of here
was horrendous and totally stopped at the New Jersey state border with New
York state.
The full reality of this occurance only just struck me yesterday. Among the
shock I experienced was hearing that as many as 10,000 lives may have been
lost and also the realization these buildings had been a familiar part of
my landscape since childhood; although distant, marking the spot where
Manhattan lay.
I only hope that justice may come so as to prevent any more of these brutal
acts from damaging and wiping out so many innocent lives.