amorphophallus damage

  • Subject: amorphophallus damage
  • From: LMassey628@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 14:22:43 -0500 (CDT)

Hello

I know I can get some good advice for my problem.
Tropical Storm Gabrielle just passed and did some damage to my Amorphophallus plants.  Some of the petioles are bent and the tips are wind damaged.  Is it a good idea to force the ones most damaged into premature dormancy by cutting off the watering ?
If the petiole is really broken and the soil is drenched, what can I do to prevent the tuber from rotting in the pot.  I usually leave them in their pots all winter.  Should I remove all that wet soil mix ?
Do the tubers get used up and reform every year ?  And if so, have tubers formed by this time of the year ?
I thought I would give them a few days to see if they can perk up again.  Maybe the damage is less than I fear.
Thank you for the advice.  I think I may have answered some of my own questions.

Linda