Re: black anthurium ?

  • Subject: Re: black anthurium ?
  • From: Albert Huntington <balberth@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:51:55 -0500 (CDT)

Hello Lyn,

  If you're talking about an anthurium with a flower that looks superficially
like A. andreanum, but having a deep purple to almost black spathe, yes, such a
beast does in fact exist.

  Speculation when the list last discussed it ( search the archives at
http://www.mallorn.com/lists/aroid-l/ ) was that it is Anthurium cabrerense
Engler from Colombia.

  I am growing a couple of them with only moderate success, and I have not had
them flower for me yet.  Apparently, they like the temperature fairly cool,
which is difficult for most of us to provide year round.

  Tito Wee has a picture up at the bottom of this page:
http://www.dragonagro.com/dapanthurium.htm

  Anthurium watermaliense is also sometimes refered to as "black anthurium",
but the infloresence is not as impressive.  A picture and description can be
seen at  http://www.aroid.org/genera/Anthurium/pachyneurinum/watermal.html

--Albert

--- Lyn Edwards <lynelda@austarmetro.com.au> wrote:
> 	I have just acquired a plant sold to me as a black anthurium

=====
Albert Huntington           San Jose, CA U.S.A.
           Visit my greenhouse at:
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Jungle/1436