[aroid-l] Dracunculus canariensis

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Dracunculus canariensis
  • From: "Sean A. O'Hara" sean@support.net
  • Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 13:31:18 -0700

Hi folks -

(I was part of this list quite some time ago - hello to anyone out there I might know!)

I've been growing Dracunculus canariensis for some years now, from seed I believe I received from someone on this list (those old files are stored away at the moment). I enjoy the plant very much and it seems to enjoy our mediterranean climate, growing with ease and little care. The plant will be breaking summer dormancy soon and I have been thinking about it again. Does anyone out there have experience with this plant? It has flowered for me during the past few years, and it has made a nice little clump (not quite a vigorous as D. vulgaris, and more 'refined' in many ways). The greenish-white flowers supposedly smell like fresh melon, but I've been unable to detect any scent on mine. Since this is such a good plant for mediterranean climates (my horticultural focus) I'd like to collect more information about its nativity, habitat, etc., and any other anecdotal information that might be interesting.

Thanks in advance!
Seán O.

h o r t u l u s a p t u s - 'a garden suited to its purpose'
Seán A. O'Hara fax (707) 667-1173 sean@support.net
710 Jean Street, Oakland, CA 94610-1459, U.S.A.
(ask me about the worldwide Mediterranean gardening discussion group)