Re: [aroid-l] Suran in Season?

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Suran in Season?
  • From: "Randy Story" story@caltech.edu
  • Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 13:55:23 -0700

Just a follow-up :

I did a search on the web and found a mail-order Indian grocery that
delivers by UPS.  In their section "Fresh vegetables" they list about 50
things, including Yam (Suran).  They give a phone number to call for fresh
vegetables, perhaps because things are seasonal.  Wanting to avoid a
possibly difficult phone conversation trying to explain that I need the
whole tuber, I decided instead to send an e-mail describing why I wanted to
grow the plant, etc.  I sent this last Friday and haven't heard
back--perhaps they thought it was a joke!

Right after I sent the e-mail I realized that it would be highly unlikely
that they would send produce to California.  We have strict laws prohibiting
the import of produce (also plants) as anyone who has driven into the state
can attest to!  (a private individual can usually get away sending a plant
or tuber without it being confiscated, though...).  So I figure it would
probably be pointless for me personally to pursue the matter.  However if
anyone else is interested in trying, here is the info:

Patel Brothers: http://www.patelbrothersusa.com/new/
Click "go shopping" on the left, then under the groceries list click on
"fresh vegetables"
Their phone number to order fresh vegetables is: 718-539-4646

I'm curious what the result is, if anyone is interested enough to try.

Randy