[aroid-l] Slainte Mhath! / Spathiphyllums

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Slainte Mhath! / Spathiphyllums
  • From: "Sean A. O'Hara" sean@support.net
  • Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 11:39:46 -0700

To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus canariensis
From: "Ron Iles" <roniles@eircom.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 01:20:49 +0100

You're obviously IRISH! So welcome back from Ireland! SlŠinte!

Ron -

Yes, I think you can say I am Irish, though by no means 'pure' and certainly 7 generations (in the USA) from the Green Isle itself (I am actually a California native). But thank you for the welcome and the good wishes!

Sounds like you like Spathiphyllums? I'm curious what you grow and what types are unusual and interesting. The ubiquitous 'Peace Lily' exists here and is BORING as can be. But I did indulge in two specimens of 'Sensation' that I brought into our offices (I was put in charge of populating the floor with plants) and they have amazed everyone (including me!) with how well they've done!

They are actually very un-spath-like until they produce a flower (solitary), being mostly a huge rosette of almost banana-like leaves. They grow in an interior foyer, with no natural light at all. They require nothing but a once-weekly watering. The air in here is recirculated and VERY dry! (Many other plants types of plants in this building are showing signs of the dry atmosphere, we well as humans!). It's great how well they've worked out.

I know that there is a variegated Spath ('Domino') though I have never seen it available locally. Are there other unusual types of this group that challenge the typical "Peace Lily"?

Regards,
SeŠn Aloysius O'Hara

h o r t u l u s a p t u s - 'a garden suited to its purpose'
SeŠn A. O'Hara fax (707) 667-1173 sean@support.net
710 Jean Street, Oakland, CA 94610-1459, U.S.A.
(ask me about the worldwide Mediterranean gardening discussion group)