Re: [aroid-l] Funny Amorphohallus titanum leaf

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Funny Amorphohallus titanum leaf
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 18:05:58 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: StroWi <StroWi@t-online.de>
To: aroid-l <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 5:43 PM
Subject: [aroid-l] Funny Amorphohallus titanum leaf

I advise all growers of Amorphophallus titanum and the other giant species
to get and read the article in a back-issue of Aroideana by Craig Alen, THE
master grower of these plants at Fairchild Tropical Gardens in Miami,
Florida.    From memory I think he describes how when grown in smaller pots
the plant puts its energy into dividing into many smaller tubers, and when
given LOTS of pot space it then puts its energies into tuber size and this
eventually results in it blooming.   Marc earlier today reported about two
species of his giants that have produced off-sets.

Julius

>>Aroiders,

A friend of mine noticed a small leaf at the base of the joungest petiole of
his Amorphophallus titanum and he hopes that it belongs to an offset. As far
as I know A. titanum does not grow offsets, but I want to get some feed back
from the list about this small leaf in order to tell him what the
experienced aroiders think about it.

Scott kindly put some pics in the gallery of the IAS site for me in order to
illustrate my request.
Everyone who is interested please have a look at:
http://www.aroid.org/gallery/strolka/index.html

Looking forward to any comment!

Good growing,
Bernhard.