Re: [aroid-l] Funny Amorphohallus titanum leaf

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Funny Amorphohallus titanum leaf
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" hetter@worldonline.nl
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:54:48 +0200

Dear Bernhard,

What you see on the pictures is something that happens often in
Amorphophallus or any tuberous aroid in general. These very small and often
distorted leaves are produced by buds close to the main leaf and do not
result in new tubers or offsets. Such buds are obviously erroneously induced
to wake up. You will also see that it emerges from within the same set of
cataphylls as the main leaf. When the plant dies down, you'll notice nothing
of it. Rarely, in large mature specimens it may be the start of a major
tuber division, proceeding from a small active subsidiary bud to a new plant
in one or two seasons.

Cheerio,
Wilbert