[aroid-l] Taking offense

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Taking offense
  • From: Don Martinson llmen@wi.rr.com
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 00:25:53 -0500

 I must admit to being a bit shocked at the umbrage apparently taken
  by some of the list members apparently in regard to perceived sexual
  innuendo and "pointless comments" regarding the odor and shape of
  various aroid inflorescences.

  Perhaps my many years in medical research have inured me to some of
  the more earthy aspects of science, but why should comparison of some
  aroids smell to excrement and decay be criticized, since that is
  exactly what nature has designed it to be?

  With regard to shapes, well I suppose we could start by renaming one
  of the better known aroid genera to Amorphoyadayada, which would
  accomplish nothing but denote prudishness by the namer.  Sex is all
  about us in nature, whether by design or our own perception.

  About 5 years ago, a list existed which was owned by a very
  knowledgeable horticulturist who absolutely refused to allow virtually
  any other subject to be discussed on the list.  Finally the
  haranguing to stay on subject got to one list member and wigged out
  and trashed the owner on-list.   Long story short, the list dissolved
  since there was no overwhelming sympathy for either of the 2
  individuals involved.

  I have been a member of Aroid-l for quite some time and rarely have
  the moderators had to steer the discussion away from
  inappropriate topics, usually political or religious in nature.

  I would suggest that anyone concerned, read a bit farther in the
  description of the Aroid-l , at least the version that I received
  last in 1999.  It continues on the say that Aroid-l,

 	"has been set up at the Missouri Botanical Garden in order to
 	provide a forum covering all facets of the study of the aroid family
 	throughout the world. Horticultural information, accounts of collecting
 	trips, technical info, trips to botanical gardens that have extensive
 	collections of aroids will be grist for our discussion mill."

  It does not say "only facets found inoffensive to all members will be

  Yes, I suppose we could have a very narrow discussion on only the
  most strictly kosher aspects of aroid biology, but quite frankly, it
  wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

Thanks for listening to my rant,