RE: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus ID

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus ID
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@xs4all.nl>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 08:45:02 +0200

Hi Paul,

Cute is the word, believe me!!!!!!!!

This seed lot I distributed was obtained by crossing two clones (H.AM.020
and 021). Of these the 020 clone produces very large tubers (up to 20 cm in
diam. !!) and has an appendix with warts that are conical and pointy. 021 is
slightly smaller and has an appendix with rounded warts. In your hybrid
result I recognise mostly characters of 21, so this one would be a trifle
smaller. However, I have had 021-tubers of 15 cm in diam. so I guess your
plant will get quite a lot bigger in years to come. The best way to get the
most (bulk) out fo your plants is to feed them silly with fertilisers (at
least once every two weeks). The East African species are WILD about that.
So it may grow from "cute" to "dangerous" (as in mothers-in-law).

Cheerio,
Wilbert