RE: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus ID

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus ID
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 08:49:02 +1000

slightly smaller and has an appendix with rounded warts. In your hybrid
result I recognise mostly characters of 21, so this one would be a trifle
smaller. However, I have had 021-tubers of 15 cm in diam. so I guess your
plant will get quite a lot bigger in years to come. The best way to get the
most (bulk) out fo your plants is to feed them silly with fertilisers (at
least once every two weeks). The East African species are WILD about that.
So it may grow from "cute" to "dangerous" (as in mothers-in-law).

Wilbert,

I wish that it was "in my hybrid" but the picture alas was not mine! <sigh> I was just asking about whether the apparent size was normal for the species. My 3 surviving bulbs of lewallei that resulted from the seed you sent are all currently dormant. I have recently placed the pot of one onto a heat mat to see if that will bring it back into growth (the difference it has made to Am. kiusianus (or was it yunnanensis) in the week since it was placed there is amazing!! The growth has accelerated dramatically to say the least. Hopefully the lewallei will spring back to life soon as well.

Once back in growth I shall feed them "silly" with fertiliser (a lovely image of Amorphs there! LOL) but can you suggest what types of fert you would recommend? While younger do I hit them with high nitrogen, or do I stick with a more generally balanced fertiliser? To be honest I am still to actually flower an Amorph as my konjac outside is still being a little recalcitrant and will not get quite to flowering size (every year it is around baseball size but never gets larger, yet never flowers). I'm sure you'll all hear the celebrations when it finally does!! <grin>

Thanks very much for the response Wilbert (and the lewallei seed a couple of years ago). Very helpful!!

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia