RE: [Aroid-l] I need help growing Alocasia Sanderania

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] I need help growing Alocasia Sanderania
  • From: "Denis Rotolante" denis@skg.com
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:56:38 -0400

John:

You did not mention what part of the country or perhaps world you were
growing in. I do think the phillies are a litlle more tolerant of
environmental conditions.

As far as I am concerned 50% peat 10% composted pine bark and 40%
perlite works out well for Alocasias. Never ever bury the petiole bases
with soil mix when repotting. Do not keep overly wet particularly when
the weather is cooler than 65 to 70 degrees F. If plant is moved to
lower light levels it is to be expected that it with drop off older
leaves and keep only newer ones which are more acclimatized to the new
light level.

Hope this helps. Somebody else who probably has more experience with
these guys in cooler climes will chime in with some better guidance.

Denis
Silver Krome Gardens
Homestead Florida