Re: [Aroid-l] I need help growing Alocasia Sanderania

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] I need help growing Alocasia Sanderania
  • From: LARIANN GARNER AROIDIAN@worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 19:37:52 -0400

John,

We at Aroidia Research are extremely concerned with growing and blooming all types of Alocasia for our breeding programs. The Alocasia sanderiana is in a group that we call the "jewels" and they are much more finicky than the big terrestrial types like A. odora and A. macrorrhizos. At this time we are engaged in studies to determine the best way to grow these Alocasia species using natural bioprotection microbes such as are available in products that are currently on the market.

Our preliminary results indicate that these Alocasias require not only the soil microflora to protect them from rotting off, but also require much more aeration in the root zone than other Alocasias. We have used a 3-2-1 mix (3 parts composted pine bark, 2 parts perlite, 1 part Canadian peat) and find that this is working well even for these finicky types. We have treated them with Bacillus subtilis, Trichoderma harzianum, Streptomyces lydicus, and other soil microbes, including vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizae (VAM) and they are responding in a very encouraging manner.

In addition to the microbial treatiments, we are growing these plants in a different kind of container, not a standard nursery pot. The containers we are testing have 360 degree aeration holes (sides and bottoms of the container) and this seems to be very beneficial to these plants. Some that have rotted under other conditions are thriving using these containers. These containers were originally intended to provide natural root pruning to woody nursery material (which they do very well), but our use is not for the purpose of root pruning, but for enhanced root aeration. See http://superoots.com for more information about these containers.

At the conclusion of these studies, our results will be published and available to serious hobbyists as well as commercial growers of these plants.

Hope this helps,
LariAnn Garner
Aroidia Research
http://aroidiaresearch.org