[Aroid-l] Sources? A. manta and a few questions.....

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Sources? A. manta and a few questions.....
  • From: "Allan Tetzlaff" atetzlaff@rogers.com
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 23:12:06 -0400

Anyone have a lead on obtaining Amorphophallus manta?  I know Worldwide Tropicals had them, but their site has been down for a while.  I do have stuff to trade if anyone out there has spares.
Also, I've been growing a number of species from seed..... I'm thinking that once the bulbs are the size of a golf ball and they go dormant they should be okay to store out of soil (for the ones you do store out of soil of course).  If I need to keep them in soil for longer, it would be nice to know.  Also, I'm not too sure about raising bulbs from bulbils that come from the leaves.  I've managed fine with symonianus, but I have a lot of bulbifer ones that are pretty small.  Should I keep them in soil, just moist?
Any pointers would be handy.
Also, a note.  From what I've read, seed is only viable when fresh.  Just would like to note that I've had bulbifer and paeoniifolius sprout after hanging out in the soil for the better part of a year.... not sure why it took so long but the plants are fine and all the seed came on about the same time.  So far, I've managed bulbifer, paeoniifolius, scaber, kiusianus, kachinensis, hewettii, decus-silvae, yunnanensis, titanum and macrorhizus from seed.  Gigas, sadly, never did sprout.
Cheers all,
Aroid-l mailing list