Re: [Aroid-l] Plants that glow in the dark.

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Plants that glow in the dark.
  • From: a san juan kalim1998@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:39:09 -0700 (PDT)

using luciferase genes on transgenic plants is usually done for research purposes (e.g. to determine the expression of certain genes that a researcher might be studying), and this has been done for many years already - in fact, might have been a decade already. i'm surprised no one has been creating commercial plants using this until now.

i'm not sure how stable the transmission of this gene would be to progenies though...

Brian Williams <pugturd@alltel.net> wrote:
At the aroid show. I was talking to Homes from Thailand about my canna
breeding. He was telling me how cannas were considered weeds in Thailand
and that they have been used in research for other plants using Gamma
rays to create mutations. Sense cannas can flower in one years time they
seem to be the best to test out. After looking this up on the internet
to see if their were any photos of these mutations. I ran across
something very interesting apparently some genetic modification was done
to a orchid using firefly genes to create the first plant that glows in
the dark. It said all parts of the plant produce light some more than
others. I found this very interesting and though it is not on the
subject of aroids I think that we may soon find aroids and other plants
being genetically modified.

Here is the web site
Aroid-l mailing list

Aroid-l mailing list